lauantai 18. elokuuta 2012

Baking square and fare


Yummy weekend for you all!
Yesterday I got together with my best friend by suggesting that we could bake something delicious for the weekend. Chocolate Caramel squares were the outcome. The recipe had some new ingredients which I've never heard of but everything went better than expected! :)
The squares were made in three different sections so we started off by making the dough for the bottom.




We measured 115 g (4 oz) of butter, 175 g (6 oz) of flours and 55 g (~1,9 oz) of fine golden sugar. Surprisingly this was totally a new experience for me. I've always worked on my doughs by hand but this... oh lawdy, this was so easy! I'm definitely going to use the mixer a lot more in the future! It doesn't even matter that our mixer is over 10 years old. It's still working amazingly well. The only problem we had was the size of the cake tin. I never seem to have the right size tins so we had to improvise itsy bit. Then again you have to remember when you're hardcore baking you can't avoid accidents. :D




Despite the little difficulties we were done with the dough and ready to move on to the caramel filling. At this point I encountered the most bizarre ingredient I have used so far. A can of condensed milk. I did some Internet research and found out that it's not that common product in Finnish grocery stores. The fact that you really can't replace that with anything else (you're welcome to prove me wrong!) made me even consider for a visit to the local Russian store. Fortunately I headed first to the biggest grocery store around and found what I was looking for! The next surprise was revealed at the point where I was opening the can. It was all gooey and I wouldn't call that good until I built up my courage to taste it.. The very common phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" was very clear to me at that moment. That gooey milk product tasted like vanilla pudding! I tried to convince my friend and brother to taste but I think the gooeyness was too much :D



Anyways, we added that can of condensed milk à 397 g (~14 oz), 175 g (6 oz) of butter, 115 g (4 oz) of fine golden sugar, 3 Tbsp of fructose corn syrup in the pan.
After heating it up and mixing for a while it got pretty thick so we were ready to pour that on the dough.




After pouring the caramel the masterpiece was put the fridge to settle until it was firm. It was already late and my friend left before I melted the chocolate for the top so I don't have any pictures of that. Although you can see from the first picture that they came out pretty nice. :)
What about the taste?
I'd say that these are perfect for big parties. These are pretty sweet and according to persons I fed these, said that one square is definitely enough. Overall everything went as expected and the outcome was very good. I'd definitely give 4 out of five stars for this recipe.
For tomorrow I've plans to make my first macarons so wish me luck! :) There isn't going to be any videos from that since I want to focus as much as I can in to the making process. All I can say that it's going to be awesome day tomorrow and I hope you guys have chictastic time until then!





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti